“Happiness is a state of mind”, they say.
What does it take to be happy?
A plate of Momos?
Getting a Bargain?
Your morning cuppa Coffee?
Bear hugs from your loved ones?
We all have our little ways of finding happiness in our personal lives.
How about being happy at work though?
While there are many things that can be done to make this happen, here are ten tiny to-dos that can help you create a more positive and happy workplace in the new year.
- Thank you! It’s such a powerful expression. But! Do we Thank enough? Acknowledging the niceness around will only help you foster a happy and healthy environment around.
- “Hey please excuse me for that”, “Sorry”, “Oh! My bad”
How about acknowledging and just admitting sometimes? An apology is not a dent in your esteem, but a true healer.
- Appreciate! Not just your immediate team members or the managers, but anyone and everyone around who needs to hear it. An act of recognition enables a kind workplace.
- Celebrate! Celebrating successes, both big and small, is a great way to stay motivated. Keep a track of small victories, and find time to do something special for yourself.
- “Nothing is personal at work”.Mantra for easy work life. Do not take any feedback/suggestions personally. Fighting people will not solve the problem.
- Create Connections. Connecting with your colleagues can help you build relationships and foster collaboration. Make sure to take the time to get to know them.
- Clean up! Yeah! Let’s not underestimate the power of a decluttered desk or a sorted mind space. Clear off the pending items on your to-do plus find a day to organize your desk. Voila! You are ready to roll.
- Talk! You like it, you don’t like it, you agree or you disagree. Practice professional courage. “You know yourself mostly by your thoughts. Everyone else in the world knows you only by your actions. Remember this when you feel misunderstood. You have to do or say something for others to know how you feel.” James Clear
- Solver or a Cribber? Choose for yourself. Choosing to be happy at work means avoiding negative conversations, gossip, and negative people as much as possible.
- Participate. Take responsibility for knowing what’s happening at your workplace. This will eliminate your fear of missing out. Don’t expect the information to walk up to you, ask the right person.
Being happy should be a practice. Prioritize it.
Do let us know your tricks for creating a happy workplace in the comments section.
Happy New Year!